Wednesday, September 19, 2012

La Bandera


La Bandera 

In the Dominican Republic, "La Bandera" (translated as "the flag") is "habichuelas, arroz, y carne" (beans, rice, and meat).  When I started dating this really hot guy that was a missionary there, he spoke of craving this authentic dish.  I attempted to make this dish numerous times, but it was never quite right.  After 3 1/2 years of marriage, we finally took a trip to the Dominican Republic and I got to taste the real deal!  Not only that, but a friend of Jonathan's had us over for lunch while we were in the DR, and taught me how to make this wonderful dish.  It is definitely a family favorite!  Here is how I prepare "La Bandera":

For the rice, I use Jasmine rice.  I love Jasmine rice.  For the meat, I cook a whole chicken in the crockpot.  Make sure to buy a chicken that will fit in your crockpot :).  Place the chicken, thawed (you can thaw it in your fridge), in your crockpot and add some salt and pepper.  Don't even add water.  Cook on high for about 8 hours or so.  So yummy.  Here is a picture of my chicken:

Now, for Las Habicheulas!  Here is my recipe:

Habichuelas (Dominican Beans) 

*This recipe makes about 7 1/2 cups!!! You might want to at least halve the recipe for a smaller crowd.  I like to make a big batch and eat them for the next few days.

Ingredients:


1 lb. Dry Pinto Beans
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil (you can use vegetable or canola oil as well)
1 cup chopped yellow or white onion
1 cup chopped bell pepper
2 Tbsp. (don't be shy :) ) minced garlic
15 oz. can of tomato sauce (or smaller, I usually don't use the whole can and save the rest for later)
1 Tbsp. white vinegar
3 chicken bouillon cubes
1 packet of Sazon Goya con culantro y anhoite (found in latin food section of your store)
1 tsp. dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

Toppings:
cilantro
avocado
lime (can't eat Latin food without this, or Thai food, in my opinion...oh, I love lime)

Directions:
Soak beans overnight or use the "quick method" (on the package).
"Quick" Cooking Method

Drain and rinse beans and leave in colander (for now).  In the same pan use used for your beans, heat up oil over medium high heat for about 1 min.  Add onion and pepper and saute for about 8 minutes.  Add garlic.  Mmm...it smells so good.....  Saute garlic for about 2 minutes.  I like my peppers and onion to be just a little bit browned.  Add 3 cups of hot water to the pan, as well as your beans, tomato sauce, vinegar, and spices (don't add any cilantro yet).  Bring to a boil.  Turn heat to low and simmer for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, taking the lid off after about 45 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in the 1/2 cup of cilantro. Put the beans on the rice.  Top with more cilantro, lime juice, and avocado.   Eat with the chicken.  Enjoy!!!!!


From the Left:  Isa, Jonathan, Me (while pregnant with Claire), Marisol's daughter, Marisol, Marisol's friend.
Thank you Marisol for teaching me how to make this delicious dish!!!

Yes, I calculated the nutrition facts.  

Nutrition Facts (250 g or 1 cup serving)
Calories: 264
Fat:  4 g
Carbs: 43 g
Protein: 13 g
Iron: 21 g


3 comments:

Katie C. said...

Thanks, Stacee!!

deargoodness said...

I'm super excited to try this recipe, it's a bit different than what Nate had. He said in southern DR they didn't ever use lime. They did top it with cabbage, tomatoes, and cucumbers. I have the sazon goya seasoning, but I've never used it in DR beans. thanks!

Autumn said...

Oooh! Looks delicious! It's even better than pinterest recipes too because I know the person who made it and then I can trust that it will be as yummy as it looks : D . Thanks for sharing!